Saturday 24 March 2012

Limone Gelato (Meyer Lemons)





Meyer Lemons, that unusually delicious cross between a lemon and a Mandarin.  I like to do them up like a Limone Gelato


Meyer Lemon Gelato


1 cup Meyer Lemon juice (6-8 Meyer lemons)
1/2 cup Meyer Lemon peel (6-8 Meyer lemons); not zested, whole peels are good
1 cup Simple Syrup
3/4 cup whipping cream


Bring the first 3 ingredients to a boil and hold at a boil for 2 minutes.  Let cool.  Strain.  Whisk in the whipping cream.  Make into ice cream using the instructions on your ice cream maker.


Note:  Limone gelato is a particularly potent and flavourful gelato.  It makes a great palate cleanser and pairs well with many other fruit gelatos or sorbets.  On its own it is delectable, but I wouldn't scoop out a bowl of it the way I'd eat a whole bowl of ice cream.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think we can get Meyer lemons over here and you are the first person to explain to me what they are! Bravo.

    ReplyDelete