Saturday 24 March 2012

Japanese Cooking Techniques: Intro

Dear Readers,

To-date I have been posting what are, to me, stock recipes.  Basic every day recipes that I make to feed my family.  I feel as though this blog has not yet lived up to the spirit of my cooking, which is to explore a multitude of foreign food preparation techniques and couple them with local ingredients.  In short, I have been posting random recipes, instead of engaging in a greater discussion about local Quebec foods and cuisine.

I expect that as this new focus for the blog continues, I will continue to post, from time to time, the same lovely food pr0n and everyday kitchen recipes that I have been posting.  This exercise is meant to provide you with a focused investigation into a particular cuisine and help us understand how our local foods can be elevated through their use.

To that purpose, I will begin with a study of the use of Japanese techniques and how to couple them with local foods.  As part of this study, which I expect to continue over the course of several months, I hope to explore the subject of Japanese food in Quebec cuisine through articles on the following subjects:
  • Traditional and Modern Japanese Techniques and Cuisine
  • Reviews of the local Japanese food scene in Montreal
  • Using Quebec Ingredients to create Japanese-inspired dishes with local ingredients
    • We're going hard on this one, from local seafood and seaweeds to local rice, homemade vinegar, booze, and hard to find ingredients from regions that don't speak French, just patois.  Happily, Soy Bean is in rampant production in the townships, so it's more or less local
  • Knife techniques
  • Fish and Sea Vegetable exposés


No comments:

Post a Comment